Schubling - a tasty snack
Prep time: About 3 – 3 ½ hours incl. smoking
Rest time: About 48 hours
Equipment: Bowl cutter, Sausage stuffer, Smoker, Sous vide
- 1500 g
beef lean (ground semi frozen)
- 750 g pork lean (ground semi frozen)
- 1000 g
bacon (ground semi frozen)
- 500 g pork fat (ground semi frozen)
g ham (gammon) (diced & cold)
- 1050 g crushed ice
- 80 g salt
- 15 g
- 9 g accord powder
- 10 g
- 1 pc chicken cube (optional – 5 g of salt)
- 5 g
- 5 g nutmeg
- 25 g fresh onions
- Add lean beef to the bowl and start rotate 1 min.
- Add salt, cure #1, accord and onions - 30 sec.
- Add 350 g crushed ice – 45 sec.
- Add lean pork – 1 min.
- Add 350 g crushed ice –
- Add bacon and fat – 1 min.
- Add 350 g crushed ice
- Add spice blend and Ascorbic Acid – 10 sec
- Add additional ice if needed and rotate until fully emulsified.
- Add diced ham or blend in by hand
The sausage meat/paste must never exceed 15C during this process.
Fill sausage stuffer with the meat paste and stuff in desired casing (I normally use sheep casing 21 – 23mm).
the sausages in 12-14 cm links.
Hang the link on a smoke bar and let them dry in the refrigerator for 24 hours
Smoke the sausages in 60-70C for 1-2 hours until golden/smoked coloration appears.
Place the sausages in sous
vide bath at 75C for 15-20min.
Cool the sausages in ice water.
Let the sausages rest in refrigerator for 24 hours.
The sausages are now ready to fry, BBQ or freeze for later use.