SPAM - Spiced ham - Why not make your own, it's easy, it's simple and it's good value for the money.
All you need is:
- 2000 g pork shoulder(the fatty part is best)
- 250 g cooked ham
- 30 g salt
- 10 g cure
- 12 g sugar
- 3 pcs garlic cloves (optional)
- half Tspoon white pepper (optional)
- 8 g corn starch (3 tablespoons)
- 1 cup ice water
- Mix salt, cure #1, sugar and corn starch in the ice water.
- Grind the pork shoulder twice through 8 mm plate at first then 3 mm plate. Freeze for half an hour.
- Run the cooked ham in the food processor until finely shredded. Freeze for half an hour.
- Mix all in a cold mixing bowl - you can
use your stand mixer, but freezee the bowl and paddle first so it's really cold. Add the minced garlic and white pepper if used.
- Spread the spam mixture into 2 loaf pan and seal it tightly with alu-foil.
- Place in a preheated oven at 125C.
and bake for 3 hours +/- until the spam reach an internal temperatur of 68 to 70C.
- Remove from the oven and place a heavy flat brick (I use another loaf pan) on top to press the spam tight.
- Place in the refrigerator for 12 hours (over night)
- Remove the press and alu-foil.The spam is now ready to slice and prepare at your desire.