Pata Tim a Philippin-Chinese dish with a delicious "sweet and salty" taste. A family favorite at the dinner table.
- 2 kg Pork shank (leg)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup Chinese cooking wine
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 4 pieces star anise
- 4 to 5 cups water
- 1 tin whole mushroom
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch diluted in 1/2 cup water
- 10–15 whole black pepper
- 1 chicken cube
- 1 bunch of bok choy
- 1 tablespoon salt
- cooking oil
- Rub the shank with salt and cooking oil.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Let the shank rest while the oven gets hot. Then bake it for 30 min, turning it half way.
- Remove the leg from the oven.
- Place the shank in a heavy skillet or pot. Pour in the water and add peppercorn.
Cover the pot and let it simmer for 2 to 2.5 hours (add hot water as needed).
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the bok-choy. Let it simmer for another ½ hour
- Dissolve the cornstarch in water and add to the sauce while whisking.
Continue to cook until the sauce reaches your preferred thickness.
- Add the bok choy. Stir and cook for 5-6 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve with plain rice.