Beetroot is probably the most common vegetable used as pickle in the danish kitchen. Used as topping for the famous "open sandwich" and as sides in a varaity of other meals. Here you will find the traditional sweet and sour method using vinegar and
- 1 kg beetroots
- 750 ml vinegar (plain white)
- 500 g sugar
- 100 ml water
- 10 black pepper corn
- 3 star anis
- 3 bay leaf
- a pinch of salt
- Wash the beetroots
and cut of most of the top of (but not all the way in the beet - then it will start bleeding).
- Boil in enough water until tender - about 45 to 60min. depending on size.
- Meanwhile mix remaining ingredients and boil for 10 to 15 minutes. Then
strain to get a clear brine.
- Rinse the boiled beets in cold water and let them cool until you can handle them by hand. Peel of the skin and remove any black spots.
- Slice the beets in 5 mm slices and place them in a pot. Pour the clear brine
over and give a quick boil.
- Fill in sterilized glasses and top with the brine. Close immideately and cool.
- Let the beet rest overnight in refrigerator. Ready to enjoy.